Electrical safety is important in your home and doesn’t require any special expertise. We’ll show you the small adjustments you can make that won’t interfere with your daily routine.
Below, you’ll find top tips on how to be electrically safe at home. This information has been collected from our Health and Safety Handbook.
- Always follow the safety guidance for the machines in your home. These are included in the manufacturers handbook that comes with the items. If you need a specific handbook for an appliance we’ve installed in your home, find the manuals you need on our website.
- Remember to never overload plug sockets, and make sure there is space around the sockets so they don’t overheat and cause sparks.
- Always make sure electrical cables are in good condition and aren’t broken, or showing exposed wires. If you have concerns about your sockets, or they become damaged, please let us know as soon as possible.
- Try to remember to turn off electrical items and unplug them when not in use.
- Do not turn on washing machines, tumble dryers, etc. when you are leaving your property.
- Beware of fake goods and make sure that electrical equipment is genuine, coming from a well-known supplier.
- You may be familiar with a process known as ‘product recall’; sometimes, there are concerns about fires caused by faults in electrical goods. You can click here if you have doubts as to whether your electrical appliances are safe. If your item is not on the list, then it is safe to use.
- Every 5 years, we will carry out an electrical inspection of the wiring inside your home. You will be contacted in advance when this will take place so that we can arrange a suitable time and date to visit you.
- Every 12 months, we will carry out electric testing in your home. You will be contacted in advance when this will take place so that we can arrange a suitable time and date to visit you.
- Water and electrics don’t make a good recipe! If you have any water coming through near sockets, or directly through sockets or light fittings, let us know immediately.